Sunday, January 11, 2009

Comfort Sunday II & Vidalia Onion Tart

So wouldn’t you just know we are having a heat wave in Richmond (it is 46 degrees at 8 AM) & it always puts a damper on Stay Home Sundays when it’s warm in the winter. Not to be swayed from the plan I cut the heat back to keep the house as cold as possible so I can light up the fire. I am determined to keep on my new Target flannel jammies & fluffy rabbit slippers so I will just shed the robe.

Lick your plate & beg for more Vidalia Onion Tart is courtesy of my buddy Ashton Harrison who serves this dish up for breakfast, lunch or as a side dish at dinner when entertaining guest at her ski lodge in Wintergreen, Va. Yesterday in preparation for SHS (Stay Home Sunday) I made my list for SUS (Stock Up Saturday.) Now I realize that you aren’t going to find Vidalia Onions in the middle of the winter & I did consider holding off on this recipe till the season came upon us but this one is just too good to wait & is a great cold weather dish. Always one to find creative solutions to a challenge I sub sweet yellow onions for the Vidalia’s and we’re good to go.

Quick & easy as Ashton always does quick & easy; this dish is sorta like French Onion Soup in a pie crust; yummy to the tummy & great served with a good winter salad. I am going with this beautiful Crispy Kale & Pomegranate Salad from Food Rockz Man.

This week SHS – Stay Home Sunday- keep up! will be a reading day for me so on SUS- Stock Up Saturday- got it…..geez; I picked up Plum Spooky the new Stephanie Plum novel from author Janet Evanovich. Easy recipes; I was going to say KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) Recipes but then that would be rude & I am never rude, always work best on SHS reading days.

Ashton’s Caramelized Vidalia Onion Tart

1/4 cup butter
4 cups (I used 2 large onions) thinly sliced Vidalia onions – it’s winter I subbed sweet Peruvian Yellows
1/2 cup dry white wine* - leaves a good ¾ of the bottle for the chef so use what you like to sip!
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 pie crust (Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust)** pressed into 11" tart pan or use a 8/9" pie pan
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used 8 ounces of Gruyere)

Melt butter in skillet.

Add & sauté onions on medium/high til they begin to caramelize- about 10 minutes, until they begin to turn golden -do not stir too much as this will slow down the caramelization.

Stir in wine & parsley; simmer till onions are nice & caramelly (spell check hated this one!) about 15 min. Cool slightly as this will keep the crust from getting soggy.

Layer cheese, onions, cheese, onions into crust.

Bake at 450º until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.

*for bolder flavor use a hearty red wine
** Make it or fake? fake it is fine for this recipe; tips for a flakier crust; Pillsbury Pie Crust Facts.


I plated it up with a balsamic reduction glaze & it was superb!

Update; I am just getting around to posting & happy to report the temp has been going down! Keep the home fires burning & enjoy this butterific recipe. I am off to the chaise lounge to find out what Stephanie Plum is up to.

XO,
Butterball

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing.. I think I will try this next week except with maybe super thin pizza dough... I'm not a huge fan of pie crust unless it has a lot of bulk on top of it, but this recipe makes me go hmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with caramelized onions. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete